Chesterton-on-Fosse (SP 341598) was a 'small town' in the Roman period, sited on the Fosse Way almost mid-way between the Roman settlements of Dorn and High Cross, Warwickshire. The settlement, now buried beneath farmland, was surrounded by a defensive enclosure of which the line can still be followed as a low depression. Excavations in the 1920s and 1960s and aerial photography have revealed buildings and an irregular street network. The settlement seems to have been occupied from the later second to the fourth centuries AD.
The context in which the curse tablet was deposited is unclear. It was found during the excavations between 1921 and 1923, when trenches placed across the eastern part of the enclosed area identified a building within which was an area of tessellated pavement. Painted plaster from the walls of this building and flue tiles were also found. The latter may suggest that the building was a bathhouse: the curse tablet from Leintwardine was excavated from a bathhouse drain. No indications of a temple nor other evidence, such as inscriptions or representations, for a deity resident at Chesterton have yet been found.
|| home | bibliography and further reading | about this site | CSAD ||